Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:09:38 +0100 (CET)

> If instead of displaying the frame and then changing it,
> Emacs displayed a splash screen and then replaced it,
> why would that be any less "jumpy"?  That is what I don't understand.
> Why does it matter whether what appears initially is the
> initial frame or a splash screen?

If .emacs is read in full before creating the initial frame,
all frame parameters are known and can be passed to x-create-frame.
Then, when the window is mapped, all parameters has been applied
and the window appears in its final form directly.

As it works now, only some parameters (I guess these are from command
line options) are passed to x-create-frame.  Then after x-create-frame
has mapped the window and returned, additional parameters are applied
that gives the "jumpy" behaviour.

A splash screen would be fixed and not affected by parameters at all
as it is just a temporary visual indicator that start of Emacs is
ongoing.

>     Yes, perhaps all of this can be made in .Xdefaults instead.  I
>     think there is an advantage if they both behave the same.  After
>     all, customize is easy to use from within emacs.  The help one
>     gets from apropos and C-h C-f also makes it a bit easier to find
>     the .emacs setting than the X resource.
>
> Perhaps Custom should update .Xdefaults when you change certain
> variables.  What do people think of that?

Instead of updating .Xdefaults, it would be better to have a
separate file (.emacs.Xdefaults?) and just add it to the other
X resource sources that Emacs reads.

The downside is that it probably don't work on all types of window
systems.  I don't know if MS Windows or Mac has any equivalent to
.Xdefaults.

Also, non-Custom rows in .emacs would not be applied before mapping
the initial frame.

        Jan D.