Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?
Date: 12 Jan 2002 11:15:44 +0000

> >     The downside is that it probably don't work on all types of window
> >     systems.  I don't know if MS Windows or Mac has any equivalent to
> >     .Xdefaults.
> >
> > Can someone give the answer?
>
> Windows uses the Registry instead of ~/.Xdefaults: you just put all
> the entries in the Registry instead of the file.  Don't know about
> the Mac.

Indeed. I think such a change will be safe on Windows, as there is
only one registry, and it cannot be configured to be anywhere else. On
X though, I have seen systems that ignore .Xdefaults and only use
.Xresources, and others that ignore both those (when I installed
XFree86 4.0 and Gnome 1.4 from source recently, in the default
configuration my .Xdefaults was ignored completely, and my
.Xresources was only read if I chose not to start Gnome on login).

--
Jason Rumney