Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: how could the mighty emacs lack --fullscreen ?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:29:32 -0700 (MST)

    > I don't see much use in combining them.  If an Emacs frame exists (the
    > splash frame), having the "real" frame present iconified won't
    > provide much benefit--and it could make the correct positioning and
    > sizing harder to implement.

    I thought the benefit of that would be in not showing the real frame
    until all its customizations, such as colors and geometry, have taken
    effect.

Either one of the two ideas you propose combining would provide this
benefit, more or less.  So I don't see a benefit in combining them.

    Or are you saying it's impossible or hard to modify frame's parameters
    for an iconified frame?

It might be hard to do it entirely right.  We don't manage to do it
entirely right at present in some cases.  We could most easily get it
entirely right if we did not create the frame until after reading .emacs.

Meanwhile, another complicating factor.  We have long wanted to have
the feature of being able to display an Emacs frame as a subwindow, a
widget, in some other program's window.  Would this change make it
harder to do that?