Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File name completion with non-ascii filenames
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:56:01 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     There's one more complication with decoding directory entries returned by
>     readdir: if the partial file name against which we are matching the
>     directory entries uses mule-unicode-* characters, but
>     file-name-coding-system decodes the directory entries into some other
>     charset, like latin-2, we will fail to match when the original code would
>     succeed.
>
> This seems like an unlikely and peculiar case, right?  If the user has
> selected some other charset, isn't it anomalous to have mule-unicode-*
> characters in the minibuffer?

Unfortunately, I think this case is not that unlikely.  Here are two
examples how this could happen:

  - A user might have enabled an input method that produces
    mule-unicode-* characters, but her file-name-coding-system is
    something like latin-2, which produces latin-iso8859-2 characters
    in decoded file names.  I think in this case the minibuffer will
    have mule-unicode-* characters, since the minibuffer ``inherits''
    the input method of the buffer from which it was activated.

  - The completion functions could have been called by a Lisp program,
    such as somethink ffap-like, that gleans the partial file names
    from the buffer text.  If the buffer text has mule-unicode-*
    characters, but file-name-coding-system is latin-2, we have the
    same situation again.