Re: What do you think?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: What do you think?
Date: 14 Jan 2002 10:51:13 +0100

>     It might also make sense for a mouse click in the echo area to invoke
>     view-messages.
>
> What do people think of that idea?
> It is hard to implement selection from the echo area,
> but this comes a little close to it.

My emacs doesn't know about view-messages, so I tried this instead:

(defun mouse-drag-region-or-view-messages (event)
  "Call `mouse-drag-region', or, if in the echo area, `view-messages'.
\"The echo area\" means any inactive miniwindow.
Like mouse-drag-region, this must be bound to a button-down mouse event."
  (interactive "e")
  (let ((w (posn-window (event-start event))))
    (if (or (not (window-minibuffer-p w))
            (minibuffer-window-active-p w))
        (mouse-drag-region event)
      ;; Discard the up event.
      (read-event)
      (save-excursion
        (set-buffer "*Messages*")
        (goto-char (point-max))
        (display-buffer (current-buffer))))))

I actually like the fact that the messages buffer is not selected.
I've already moved my hand to the mouse to display it, so if I want to
select it or copy stuff from it, it's easily done.