Re: Customize may not be appropriate for older users

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Customize may not be appropriate for older users
Date: 14 Jan 2002 21:27:50 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Francesco Potorti` wrote:
>
> > But on this topic, yes, I believe that a directory .emacs would be a
> > good thing
>
> I'd rather not rush into too many changes here, let alone create a
> directory when we know a file by that very name already exists.  What's
> wrong with ~/.customizations.el or some such?  Why do we need a special
> directory for two or three files?

We already have a directory called ~/.emacs.d/ (at least I do; since
21.1 or some stage in the development of that). On my system it
contains a subdirectory auto-save-list, which now that I look at it has
about 30 auto-save files in it.

That (".emacs.d") would be a more sensible choice for any new
directory, rather than the conflicting name ".emacs". I suspect the
original intention was to move more of Emacs's files into that
directory, but it has not happened yet.

--
Jason Rumney