Re: Customize may not be appropriate for older users

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Customize may not be appropriate for older users
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:53:49 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I think it is good for Custom to store the values in .emacs by default.
> You can change that if you wish, with customizations, but I am against
> changing the default.

One issue that has come up is that custom is used to save "internal"
variables, which the user never manually (via custom) decided to add.
One idea was to put these kind of variables in another find so they don't
bother the user, some users seem to want Emacs to never write to .emacs
automatically. I don't really agree (they can customize custom-file), but
it is one opinion at least.

There are some parts of Emacs that writes to .emacs that doesn't use
custom though. C-x n n etc.  I think it would be nice to use custom for
everything related to long-term customizations.