Re: lisp/term/vt*.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: lisp/term/vt*.el
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:39:23 -0700 (MST)

    Is there any reason why so many of the vt*.el files are exact copy of
    one another (modulo comments)?

Probably because the other alternative, symbolic links or hard links,
were less portable.

    Should I make all the derivative vt*.el files just load one master file
    instead of including a copy of it?

    (Yes, I know: this is an insignificant issue.  But I'm making changes in
    some of these files, and could do some cleanup while I'm at that.)

Please leave them alone--this won't benefit users, and you could just
as easily do something else that will benefit users.

For instance, there is a file of messages containing proposed changes
that Gerd set aside for after the 21.1 release.  You could go through them
looking for some changes to install.  This is very important.

I would like to ask everyone to *stop* looking for ways to make
internal cleanups, and instead work on installing those deferred
patches.  Please help do the *important* jobs!