Re: Windows port of emacs -- configuration questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows port of emacs -- configuration questions
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:45:25 +0200

> From: John Covici <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:14:07 -0500
>
> I would like to make the Windows port use the same continuation
> method as the text mode versions -- i.e. the backslash at the end of
> the line if it is continued.

I don't think you can, at this time.  Kim Storm added a feature which
allows you to control the size of the fringes, or even make them
disappear entirely, but there's no way to resurrect the text-mode
continuation glyphs yet.  (The GUI display code on the C level has the
graphics glyphs hard-wired into it.)

> Also, I would like to start with the scroll bars turned off, but when
> I put (toggle-scroll-bar) in my _emacs file, I got errors, but I can
> do it by hand and it works.

Do it the X way: use the resources.  On Windows, the resources should
be put into the Registry instead of the ~/.Xdefaults file.  See the
node "Resources" in the manual for more details.

> Also, I would like to make sure the Window is maximized -- I have a
> short cut which has run maximized, but emacs still runs as normal
> size.

There's a Windows-specific magic to do that, check out the NTEmacs FAQ
(available from http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html),
it tells how to do this, IIRC.