Re: Keys when menu-bar is active?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Keys when menu-bar is active?
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:07:02 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Simon Josefsson wrote:

(A long running example of this is the scroll bar in Emacs, it behaves like no other scroll bar I have ever seen

??? What kind of toolkit do you have Emacs built with? At least some versions have a fairly standard-behaving scroll bar.

The default on my system (RedHat) was Xaw3d.

* When scrolling down, scrolling doesn't stop when the end of the scrollbar is reached.

* The scrolling bar changes size depending on where you are in the buffer, it seems to depend on how many lines are visible on the screen (i.e. long lines change things).

* Due to the changing size, you can't use it to reliable indicate how many lines are above you and how many lines below you.

* The scroll-one-line-at-a-time feature (invoked if you press mouse-1 or mouse-3 near the top of the scroll bar?) doesn't scroll continously (click on it a few times and it wraps back from where it started).

* Scroll-one-line-at-a-time doesn't move the cursor (ordinary scrolling does).

* Scroll-one-line-at-a-time behaves "jumpy" at the end of the buffer.

Maybe someone think these are "features", but they aren't consistent with any other program so a new user probably don't feel comfortable with them.

Making the default X11 widget be GTK would be huge step in Emacs usability. (Making the Xaw widgets behave normal would be as well, but I think the time is better spent on GTK.)