Re: CC Mode 5.28 (C++); comment-indent-newline does not insert a comm en

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CC Mode 5.28 (C++); comment-indent-newline does not insert a comm ent delimiter after the new line.
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:40:16 -0500

>     Let M-j break the line as appropriate for continuing the comment text
>     on the next line, whether or not that means making a new comment for
>     it, indenting and/or inserting a comment continuation prefix on the
>     new line.
>
> Precisely how do you think it shuld decide whether to end the comment
> and start a new one?  What criterion do you propose.
>
> Here is my reasoning: M-j is useful if and only if it differs from
> C-j.  Therefore, we should make M-j differ from C-j more rather than
> less.  Thus, M-j should always end one comment and start another.
>
> If you think that M-j should sometimes continue the comment
> even though it would be legitimate not to, could you tell me
> what advantage that would offer?

I don't know exactly about the comment-ending behavior of M-j.
Maybe Martin was thinking o cases where you want

        (* blabla
         * blibli *)

But my main beef with M-j is that it doesn't handle the fill-prefix.
I often would like it for M-j to turn

        prefix> hello! there
into
        prefix> hello
        prefix> there

I.e. I think that M-j should force some kind of auto-fill-at-point
(i.e. cut the line at point as if the line was being cut because of auto-fill).

        Stefan