Re: Keys when menu-bar is active?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Keys when menu-bar is active?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:49:49 -0500

> The default on my system (RedHat) was Xaw3d.
>
> * When scrolling down, scrolling doesn't stop when the end of the
>   scrollbar is reached.

You mean it only stops when the last char of the buffer is at the very top
of the screen.  I don't think it's a feature.

> * The scrolling bar changes size depending on where you are in the
>   buffer, it seems to depend on how many lines are visible on the
>   screen (i.e. long lines change things).

It reflects he number of chars visible compared to the total number of chars.
That's pretty standard (Xaw with xterm does the same except it's based
on lines instead of chars.  Since Emacs doesn't keep track of the number
of lines, it would be costly to recompute it all the time).

> * Due to the changing size, you can't use it to reliably indicate
>   how many lines are above you and how many lines below you.

I'm not sure I understand.  It does reliably indicate something else.

> * The scroll-one-line-at-a-time feature (invoked if you press
>   mouse-1 or mouse-3 near the top of the scroll bar?) doesn't
>   scroll continously (click on it a few times and it wraps back
>   from where it started).

It's a bug I haven't been abloe to track down (yet).

> * Scroll-one-line-at-a-time doesn't move the cursor (ordinary
>   scrolling does).

That's not related directly to the scrollbar.  Same thing happens
with M-v and C-v.  You want something like scroll-in-place.

> * Scroll-one-line-at-a-time behaves "jumpy" at the end of the
>   buffer.

That's a bug.

I have a patch that fixes this bug and that fixes the size of the
thumb (because the bug is directly related to the difficulty of
working around Xaw3d's (and Motif's) insistence on not handling
a variable-sized thumb satisfactorily.  Xaw handles it just fine).

I don't find it better, tho.

        Stefan