address@hidden: Automatic scrolling in *shell*]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: Automatic scrolling in *shell*]
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:00:39 -0700 (MST)

I think this behavior for Shell mode would be very desirable.

Sender: address@hidden
To: address@hidden
Subject: Automatic scrolling in *shell*
From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:39:43 +0100

[First posted to gnu.emacs.help.]

In *shell* (M-x shell) the default scroll algorithm seems to be used:
Reaching the bottom Emacs will scroll down half a window.  Then you'll
see a lot of white space below the prompt.

This behavior is especially user-unfriendly when you enter something
like 'ls --help' or just 'ls' for crowded directories: 80% of the info
you asked for is always hidden and you'll have to PgUp to scroll back
the buffer.

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- cut here -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I dared to recommend to use for *shell*:

    (setq scroll-conservatively 1)

But *shell* doesn't seem to respect this setting (most of the time it
centers the prompt when output exceeds the bottom of the buffer window)

My wish is: The prompt should always stay in the last line of the
*shell* buffer (like xterm).

- --
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o
Free Translation Project:                                |    _-\_<,
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/             |   (*)/'(*)