Re: table.el and GNU Emacs integration?

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: table.el and GNU Emacs integration?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 22:41:46 -0800 (PST)

Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:20:53 -0700 (MST): Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>     Please find attached is the latest table.el code.  The work to find
>     an alternative way to using advice, suggested by Richard, hasn't done
>     in this.
>
> I seem to recall that we designed a good alternative method.
> Do you think that alternative method will work?
> What is the state of things?

We discusses how to implement a "wrapper" mechanism.  However, the
necessity or justification of implanting such wrapper mechanism to
some of the existing functions was not clearly concluded among us.

Although I am the proposer of the wrapper idea I'd like to back off a
little bit.  After giving some thoughts after initial excitement I
think wrapper is not much different from around-advice while advice is
generic and wrapper is not so since it must be implanted originally.

For now I'd like to leave the advising in table.el as is, while
leaving the option to the users to turn it off or on.

-Tak