Re: after-21.1-xmail (bugs with current CVS

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: after-21.1-xmail (bugs with current CVS
Date: 27 Jan 2002 15:14:17 +0000

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> I think we need an interface which always asks for some fields
> to really identify a font, not relying on the order the fonts are
> found by the system.  With other words, the routine for selecting a
> font should find exactly one font.

Note that the x-select-font function I wrote accepts an optional
parameter to enforce an exact match, which was supposed to deal with
that problem. But gfontsel (the Gnome replacement for xfontsel) always
returns patterns with wildcards in them, so this is not really usable.

Unless we write a font selection dialog ourselves (which is probably
too much of a distraction from more important work), it is probably
better to handle this problem at a higher level.  The entry in
after-21.1-xmail is talking about the Customize Face interface, so my
current thinking is to keep the separate fields we have at present,
and add an extra button that lets the user use the font dialog as an
easy way to populate a number of those fields. If the font dialog does
not populate some fields, then the fields can still be set manually.

--
Jason Rumney