Re: Updated GNU TLS bindings

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Updated GNU TLS bindings
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 11:55:39 -0700 (MST)

    What do you think of gnutls.el?  It contains variable definitions used
    by C defuns.  Maybe I should move these defvars into C?  The problem
    is that there are maybe a hundred more of them, from the gnutls.h
    file.

If they need to be used from Lisp, defining them in Lisp is simplest.

    I have also considered that they shouldn't be integer variables at
    all, but rather symbols.  So you would say (gnutls-init myproc
    'gnutls-client) instead of (gnutls-init myproc gnutls-client).

The former is a little better because you could do error checking.
If the value is on a certain property of the symbol,
so you do (get SYMBOL 'gnutls-value) to get the numeric code,
then you can signal an error if an inappropriate symbol is used.

    What is the policy regarding the Gnus manual?  Is anyone editing it
    for use in Emacs, or is it incorporated straight from the Gnus
    distribution?

The Gnus manual is included in the Emacs distribution, and that is
its primary purpose.  We should do what is best for this.