Re: "About Emacs" menu item?

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: "About Emacs" menu item?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:15:05 +0100

   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:11:54 -0700 (MST)

   >     But after (setq display-hourglass nil) and one second (the value of
   >     hourglass-delay) the hourglass pointer is displayed.
   >
   > I can't reproduce that.  What is the exact recipe?

emacs -q and in the *scratch* eval (setq display-hourglass nil).

After a second, pointer is changed to hourglass.

I have added simple fprintf to stderr to the beginnings of start_hourglass()
and cancel_hourglass(), and when I'm in the scratch and eval

(setq display-hourglass nil)

those functions are called:

start_hourglass()
cancel_hourglass()

and the pointer is changed to hourglass.

After

(setq display-hourglass t)

only cancel_hourglass() is called and the pointer is back to normal.

   > It would seem to be a bug.  Could you investigate it?  Is
   > start_hourglass called, and if so, why?  Also, the failure to handle
   > mouse commands as specified seems like a bug.  Could you investigate

I will investigate, but first we should solve hourglass and then the rest.

   > I am not sure it is right for the "about Emacs" menu item to do the
   > splash screen changes in key bindings, cursor, mode line, etc.
   > Perhaps it should display the same buffer contents but display them as
   > an ordinary Fundamental mode buffer.  When the user wants to switch
   > away, C-x b will do it.  What do people think?

I do not have a strong opinion here. But splash screen is somewhat special
and we should probably handle it as such.
--
Pavel Janík

/* When we have more time, we can teach the penguin to say
 * "By your command" or "Activating turbo boost, Michael".
 */
                  -- 2.2.16 arch/sparc/prom/sun4prom.c