Re: WinNT/CVS/^M prob

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: WinNT/CVS/^M prob
Date: 31 Jan 2002 21:06:58 +0000

Vardhan Varma <address@hidden> writes:

> using windowsnt4.0 + mingw + cvs from cvsnt.org.
> does this cvs handles cr/lf issues properly ??

It depends on your definition of properly.  Many ports of CVS make the
assumption that since the server uses LF as its default line-end, all
text files that it gets from that server must have LF line ends.  So
they blindly add CR to the end of every line.

But we want some files to have CRLF line-ends in CVS, so we can build
a distribution tar file that will work on all platforms.  So the
assumption made by those ports of CVS is wrong.

> first i get emacs/nt/makefile.w32-in with additional ^M,
> which i had to be manually removed or mingw's make cries.
> (looks like cvs copy is wrong, can somebody with unix od it
> to check if line ends in 0d0d0a , 0d0a or 0a )

They are 0d0a in CVS.

> My Question(s):
>       which is Preferred set of tools in MS Env? ..
>               1. Mingw / Cygwin / MSVC ?

mingw32 or a recent cygwin appear to be reasonably stable and are
also Free.  If you already have MSVC, that is the more tested
configuration, but I would not go out and buy it especially.

>               2. which precompiled cvs ?

The cygwin CVS apparently does not modify line-ends.  This works,
since the files where DOS line-endings are required are all stored in
CVS with that line-end.

>       some of the things in Win  makefile could have been done better,
>       if i eventually make a patch, whom do i share it with ?

Share any general suggestions with this list, or send specific
bug-reports and patches to the bug-report address.

--
Jason Rumney