Re: Questions round session management.

From: Alan Shutko
Subject: Re: Questions round session management.
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:06:40 -0500

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> Should Emacs save all buffers when shutting down?  That is, a
> shutting down from the session manager would be treated the same
> as an C-x C-c.

If you mean, should it pull up the same offer that C-x C-c does,
allowing the user to choose whether to save, sure.  If user
interaction is not allowed, it should not save any buffers.  Let the
user recover from the autosaves.

> Should Emacs attempt to save state (frame parameters, open files,
> and so on) when shutting down?

Yes.  Otherwise, what's the point in implementing session management
if all it will do is let the app restart dumbly?  To do any less is
against the spirit of session management.

Now, this could get arbitrarily complicated (ie, should we preserve
gnus state, local variables, etc) so I can see not saving some stuff,
but remembering open files should be fairly easy to do and would be a
great help to people.  If we wanted to, we could define a
session-management framework within emacs to let Gnus, w3, etc save
their own state, but that could happen at a later date.

As for how to do this, no idea.  8^)

--
Alan Shutko <address@hidden> - In a variety of flavors!
You'll be called to a post requiring ability in handling groups of people.