Re: Raw keys in C-h k and C-h c

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Raw keys in C-h k and C-h c
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 18:57:29 -0500

>           M-u (translated from M-U) runs the command upcase-word
>     or
>           DEL (translated from <backspace>) runs the command scroll-down
>
> Those two seem useful.
>
>     or
>           <f1> a (translated from ESC O P a) runs the command apropos-command
>
> That one will only distract most users.  They don't know that the F1
> key actually sends ESC O P, and they don't want to know.

Ironically enough, this is the case for which I have written the code
in the first place (I was tired of having to use C-h l and try to find
the relevant key sequence).

> Can you arrange to suppress the "(translated from ...)" output
> in that case?

I don't have any idea for how to tell the difference between the
cases for `DEL (translated from <backspace>)'
and `<f1> a (translated from ESC O P a)'.  Also I'd still want to be
able to find this `ESC O P a' for those cases where I'm trying to fix
my function-key-map.

> Aside from that, the implementation is really ugly.  Maybe it could be
> much cleaner if read_key_sequence recorded the actual keys read, or
> some info about them.

It could be improved with a bit of help from the C code, indeed.
F.ex. a `raw-event-counter' would do the trick since the "ugly"
part of the code just tries to figure out how many raw events
belong to the curent key sequence.

        Stefan