Re: Size of splash screen (Re: "About Emacs" menu item?)

From: Al Petrofsky
Subject: Re: Size of splash screen (Re: "About Emacs" menu item?)
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 11:05:57 -0800

> From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
>
> >     It is a little bit too long for my Emacs frame (31 lines, on a
> >     800x600dpi notebook display).  Not even with scroll-bar enabled it is
> >     possible to scroll it down.
> >
> > What change do you suggest?
>
> It would be enough to allow scrolling (with the mouse and with the
> keyboard).

So, instead of clearing the opening screen before the first command,
clear it before the first non-scroll command?  That doesn't solve the
problem on ttys because first-time users (and that's who this is all
for, right?) won't know what the key binding for scroll-up is.
Perhaps if the splash-screen doesn't fit, the mode-line should say:

  ---- GNU Emacs ---- Press SPACE to scroll --------------------------

Then SPC would be captured and cause a scroll, and any other key would
start the ordinary command loop.

-al