Re: Raw keys in C-h k and C-h c

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Raw keys in C-h k and C-h c
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:46:20 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >     I don't have any idea for how to tell the difference between the
> >     cases for `DEL (translated from <backspace>)'
> >     and `<f1> a (translated from ESC O P a)
> >
> > The latter starts with ESC.  I think that is the criterion to use.
>
> It sounds somewhat arbitrary (under my xterm M-U is seen by Emacs
> as ESC U, among other things), but I guess it's good enough.

To let cases like "ESC U" through, we could only filter out escape
sequences whose length is more than 2.  Function keys are almost always
longer that 2 characters, I think.

> >       Also I'd still want to be
> >     able to find this `ESC O P a' for those cases where I'm trying to fix
> >     my function-key-map.
> >
> > You could put that function in your .emacs.  I don't think most users
> > need to know this.
>
> Two users here using my hacked Emacs already thanked me for it, saying
> "I wish it had been there when I played with my xterm/console settings to
> send more function key sequences".

I agree that having that display is a valuable debugging option.  Perhaps
we could have that with some modification of "C-h c", like when it's
invoked with an arg.