display-time, mail-icon and POP3 mailboxes

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: display-time, mail-icon and POP3 mailboxes
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:54:16 +0100

Hi,

I'd like to add the ability to check POP3 mailbox for new messages (and
displaying mail icon). Now, we support only looking into file or directory
for new e-mail. POP3 support would be great. The implementation itself is
very easy (and already done, in fact).

But how should i get the hostname, username and password from user?

Rmail uses movemail which checks MAILHOST env. variable or the third field
of inbox (po:user:host). Gnus can set everything in mail-sources:

(setq mail-sources '((pop :server "my-server" :user "MyName" :password
"MySecret")))

I do not know about VM and other mail programs. Do you have an idea?
Should I share values with those programs or should I invent new user
options display-time-pop3-{server,user,password}?
--
Pavel Janík

Pah! Benchmarks, smenchmarks! Give us your bogomips-rating, that's
the only thing that counts :-)
                  -- David Weinehall in linux-kernel