Re: Mysterious redisplay problem and a trap in xdisp.c

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Mysterious redisplay problem and a trap in xdisp.c
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:47:57 +0200

> From: "Kim F. Storm" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu,  7 Feb 2002 12:59:30 +0000 (GMT)
>
> While typing in some text in a buffer, emacs suddenly decides to
> insert a new line instead of the character I typed.  But if I do C-l,
> there is only one line, and the character I typed magically reappears.
>
> I've only seen this with column-number-mode turned on, so the rest of
> you may not have noticed.
>
> When this happens, the column number continues to increment relative
> to the original line start (and the bogus line wrap), but continuation
> glyphs are shown "correctly" in the fringe when the second line
> reaches the right margin and wraps into the third line.
>
> Anyway, at some point, emacs decided to crash (seemingly immediately after
> inserting one of those bogus newlines).

IMHO, the initial problem is that newline Emacs inserts where it
shouldn't have; find the code which is guilty of that, and you've
found your villain.  The crash (actually, Emacs doesn't crash, it
aborts itself) clearly shows that the display code found an
impossible condition: a glyph row was not enabled.