Re: display-time, mail-icon and POP3 mailboxes

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: display-time, mail-icon and POP3 mailboxes
Date: 09 Feb 2002 00:14:55 +0100

address@hidden (Pavel Janík) writes:

>    From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>    Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 06:57:41 -0700 (MST)
>
>    >     I do not know about VM and other mail programs.
>    >
>    > Don't worry about VM.  Its developer wants it to be separate
>    > from Emacs, and that means it is not our responsibility.
>
> OK, but we still have RMAIL and Gnus. Both use different syntax etc. I will
> define separate variables which will be display-time specific and not
> shared/used with anything else.

I think it should at least be able to use the existing gnus and/or
rmail settings (they cannot be that hard to use).
You can then add extra mailboxes to check specifically.

What about these options:
 - display-time-pop3-check-rmail  (nil/t, default t)
 - display-time-pop3-check-gnus   (nil/t, default t)
 - display-time-pop3-mail-boxes   (alist (server.passwd), default ())

With the pop3 sample code I posted some time ago, there is one serious
problem: If emacs cannot connect to the pop3 server, it may hang (no
user interaction) until the connect times out.  That is not
satisfactory!

I don't know if this is relevant for your code (sorry, but I haven't
had time to look at the code you sent me).