isearch quasimode

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: isearch quasimode
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 03:58:34 +0100

I want to write an isearch quasimode.  Instead of typing C-s a l e x
to search for the next occurence of alex, I want to type s-a s-l s-e
s-x, assuming that Super indicated the search-quasimode.

Does anybody else think this would be a nice idea?  You could use
s-SPC to emulate forward-word, for example.  I think that would make
a search alternative even better than isearch -- if you have enough
modifier bits left (I'm thinking of Super for forward searching and
Hyper for backward searching...  YMMV.)

Anyway, looking at isearch.el is rather daunting, so I'm looking for
some help...  The first question is -- given a string, what do I do to
use isearch machinery to search for it?

I was hoping for something like the following, but there must be more
to it.

(let ((isearch-string "alex"))
  (isearch-search-and-update))

Alex.