Re: Changing mode-line-inactive

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changing mode-line-inactive
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 22:38:04 +0200

> From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 21:00:25 +0100
>
> Emacs doesn't see mode-line-inactive changes immediately.  Split your
> window (C-x 2) and change mode-line-inactive:
>
>     (copy-face 'mode-line 'mode-line-inactive)
>
> The mode-line of the inactive window stays unchanged.

Did it ever worked differently?  I mean, if you copy-face some face
into mode-line face in Emacs 21.1, does the mode line change
immediately?

I think faces are recomputed only on certain occasions, and otherwise
cached and delivered from the cache.

> The new frame does not inherit the new setting but that's probably a
> different issue.

I think this is expected: faces are frame-specific.  If you want the
change on all frames, use set-face-attribute.