Re: PATCH: focus follows mouse in C

From: Al Petrofsky
Subject: Re: PATCH: focus follows mouse in C
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 13:40:31 -0800

> From: address@hidden (Pavel =?iso-8859-2?q?Jan=EDk?=)
>    From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>
>
>    > And what about the tty version with xt-mouse or an equivalent?
>
> It is not possible at all in xterm, because xterm can not sent mouse
> movement events, only button presses/releases (see ctlseqs.PS from
> X documentation, page 5). The same is stated in the xterm manual page:
>
>        Xterm allows character-based applications to receive mouse
>        events (currently button-press  and  release  events,  and
>        button-motion  events) as keyboard control sequences.  See
>        Xterm Control Sequences for details.

In x11r6.5, xterm cannot send any motion events, but in XFree86 3.3
and later, xterm can send both button-motion events (i.e. motion
events while a button is pressed) and regular pointer-motion events.
Some of the documentation is still a little behind.

> On the other hand, it is doable on a virtual console (at least on my system
> which is based on Linux kernel) because t-mouse.el (resp. mev program from
> gpm suite) can report mouse movements (current t-mouse.el which is part of
> gpm, ignores mouse movements, because the cmdline argument "-e-move" is
> used for mev).

The gpm design has always seemed fundamentally broken to me, because
it sends mouse events over a completely separate channel (a unix
domain socket) rather than through the tty.  This makes it impossible
to rlogin to a remote host and have applications on the remote host
receive the mouse events.

-al