Re: display-time, mail-icon and POP3 mailboxes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display-time, mail-icon and POP3 mailboxes
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:48:00 -0700 (MST)

    >    > With the pop3 sample code I posted some time ago, there is one
serious
    >    > problem: If emacs cannot connect to the pop3 server, it may hang (no
    >    > user interaction) until the connect times out.  That is not
    >    > satisfactory!
    >
    > The same applies to pop3.el from Gnus.

    If we want to support this in general, we must implement an async
    version of open-network-stream (or add an optional arg to it to make
    it async - that arg could be a function which is called when the
    connection has been opened.

Is it hanging in open-network-stream?  If so,
precisely where in open-network-stream is it waiting?
It may be a straightforward matter to implement quitting from
a few places where the waiting typically happens.
That would fix this problem.