Re: "Local variables" and continuation lines

From: Christoph Conrad
Subject: Re: "Local variables" and continuation lines
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 22:47:07 +0100

Hello Richard,

you wrote:

    > I think that is confusing, and inconvenient in a practical
    > sense. It would be much better to write

    > [...]

    > 1. The former makes it clear what it means.

I dare say it's only a matter of habit. In my opinion the syntax
isn't very plausible or readable.

    > The latter could mean various different things and you can't
    > guess which.

It is an agreement, as the former syntax also is.

    > It could just be a mistake.

Escaping line ends with "\" could also be a mistake.

    > 2. With the latter, you might accidentally put something in
    > between and it will still "work"
    > [...]
    > but it is a recipe for confusion.

This "feature" could easily be suppressed.

,----
| long-line: "This is going to be a really, really, really, really,
| long-line: really, really, really, really, really long string"
`----

Visually evident that the second line is acontinuation of the first
one.

,----
| long-string: "This is going to be a really, really, really, really,\
| really, really, really, really, really long string"
`----

Could be a syntax error!? Ahhh, at the END of the first line there's
an escape.

    > What do others think?

Yes, what do others think?

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://www.gnusoftware.com/WebRing/> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,