Re: Changes to make the C-x @ commands work with function keys

From: Al Petrofsky
Subject: Re: Changes to make the C-x @ commands work with function keys
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:56:51 -0800

> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Al Petrofsky wrote:
>
> > Below are some changes that make the C-x @ commands work with function
> > keys.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand: this seems to work already.  For example,
> "C-x @ c <right>" invokes <C-right>.  What am i missing?

You must be running on a window system, where pressing right generates
a single <right> event.  On a tty, pressing right generates something
like ESC O C.  In 21.1, the C-x @ sequences modify just the single
event that follows (i.e. ESC), rather than modifying the translated
event that would follow after function-key-map processing.

> (Btw, I always wondered how can this be useful for the Ctrl modifier,
> since "C-x" requires Ctrl at least with `x'.  Is there an assumption
> that the user can arrange for some key to generate "C-x", but cannot
> use Ctrl otherwise?)

Yes.  An uncustomized tty will generate C-x when you type C-x, but
will not generate C-right when you type C-right.  Termcap/terminfo
don't even provide a way to state what the byte sequence for C-right
would be.  With the changes I proposed, the user can at least make a
private arrangement between his tty and emacs.

-al