Shall menu_bar_items and tool_bar_items look at text property keymaps?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Shall menu_bar_items and tool_bar_items look at text property keymaps?
Date: 13 Feb 2002 01:01:52 +0100

I was looking at the above functions and wondered whether it really
makes sense for those functions to look for menu-bar and tool-bar
bindings in the keymap and local-map properties of PT in the current
buffer?

I guess it makes sense in some specific cases that the menu bar or
tool bar changes dynamically depending on what kind of text is below
the cursor, but I was wondering whether it will actually work - as it
requires that the menu-bar and tool-bar are updated (or at least
checked for updates) every time the cursor moves...

It this is not done, the contents of the menu and tool bar will
include or exclude some options seemingly at random - depending on
where the cursor is the last time the menu or tool bar was updated...