Re: Two new entries in menu-bar's Tools menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Two new entries in menu-bar's Tools menu
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:33:43 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     + (define-key menu-bar-tools-menu [flyspell]
>     +   '(menu-item "Toggle On-the-fly Spelling" flyspell-mode
>     +               :help "When ON, highlights misspelled words as you type"))
>
> This does not belong in the Tools menu.
> It would belong in Options, if it is worth including there.

This is not an option in the normal sense we use that in Emacs, IMHO.
Options is something you routinely turn on to customize Emacs.  Flyspell
is not like that.  Options (at least those in the menu bar's Options menu)
are global, and when you "Save options", they get written to .emacs.
Flyspell is not like that.

> I see that "display speedbar" is also in the Tools menu.
> I think it belongs in "Show/Hide", if it merits a menu
> bar item (I am not sure of that).

To me, Show/Hide is about minor display features.  Speedbar is much more
than a minor display feature, so I think classifying it as a tool is more
correct.