Re: x-autoselect-window

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: x-autoselect-window
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:14:26 +0100

   From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>
   Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:54:33 +0200

   >   - Does anyone else see that sometimes, especially when the mouse is
   >     moved very quickly from one window to another, the cursor shape and
   >     mode line don't show the other window was selected until you
   >     actually type something, or move the cursor?  Tracing through the
   >     code, I see that Fselect_window is being called, but the display
   >     doesn't refresh until I press some key.

I do not see this, because I use blink-cursor-mode, but when I set it to
default values, I see that problem too. I will see if Gerd's advice help
here (thank you Gerd).

   >   - I don't understand why does the test for calling Fselect_window
   >     insist on comparing the window, where the mouse pointer is, with
   >     the last window where we saw the mouse pointer.  Why isn't it
   >     enough to compare only with the selected window?

Example: you have two windows. You will move mouse to the other one, it
will be autoselected. Then you will do C-x o but the mouse pointer will
stay in the autoselected window. You will tap to the keyboard, mouse will
be moved slightly, the window will be autoselected again, but you are
writing to the other window (you used C-x o to switch to it,
remember?). This tries to prevent this.

   >   - Finally, the name x-autoselect-window seems unnecessarily
   >     X-specific.  Since the goal is to support this not only on X, I
   >     wonder whether we should have a more neutral name, like
   >     mouse-autoselect-window or something.

I have nothing to say here. Maybe only autoselect-window or something like
that, because you can you tablet or even keyboard to move the
pointer. I wanted to name it to better reflect focus-follows-mouse (because
it is used in window managers terminology), but could not find the right
name.
--
Pavel Janík

panic("Attempted to kill the idle task!");
                  -- 2.2.16 kernel/exit.c