Re: Two new entries in menu-bar's Tools menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Two new entries in menu-bar's Tools menu
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:50:28 -0700 (MST)

    (defcustom text-mode-hook nil
      "Normal hook run when entering Text mode and many related modes."
      :type 'hook
      :options '(turn-on-auto-fill flyspell-mode)
      :group 'data)

    When you customize text-mode-hook, turn-on-auto-fill and flyspell-mode
    will be listed as checkbox options.

Now I understand.

Note that the function flyspell-mode is not the right one to use here,
just as the function auto-fill-mode is not right here.  We made a
separate function turn-on-auto-fill which does not ever turn the mode
off.  We ought to make a similar function for turning on flyspell.

      The :options above give us a "for each major mode, select
    which minor modes to turn on.

Yes, but it only lists a couple of minor modes that we specifically
think that many people would want.  So it is not a very general facility,
or else you could say, it is not very much fleshed-out.