Re: Shall menu_bar_items and tool_bar_items look at text property keymap

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Shall menu_bar_items and tool_bar_items look at text property keymaps?
Date: 20 Feb 2002 16:28:13 +0100

>     Instead of trying to make it work (which will involve a severe performance
>     penalty), I suggest to remove the code and document in the Elisp manual
>     that those text property maps don't support menu-bar and tool-bar
> bindings.
>
> Documenting that seems like a good idea.  Is there special code
> that attempts to make it work but fails?  If so, put it in #if 0
> and with a comment explaining why it doesn't work and why
> working correctly is hard.

I have changed menu_bar_items and tool_bar_items in keyboard.c to not
look for keymap and local-map properties, and I have added comments to
the code explaining why we don't look at those maps.

I'll discuss with Eli how to fix the documentation in the lisp ref.

However, the old code wasn't really correct (it looked at the keymaps
in the wrong order), so instead of keeping the (messy/buggy) old code,
I have replaced it with simpler and cleaner code which handles just
the "normal" keymaps.  I hope that is ok.