Re: Bug Report (Feature request?) etags (GNU Emacs 21.1)

From: Sven Utcke
Subject: Re: Bug Report (Feature request?) etags (GNU Emacs 21.1)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:56:47 +0100 (CET)

>    That is doing things the hard way.  Wouldn't it be easier to handle
>    #line in Lisp inside find-tag?
>
> Okay, let's try to change the approach completely.  We should be able to
> do that all inside find-tag, without even changing the user interface.
>
> Using C-u M-. one can search for more tags.  We (not me, please!) can
> change find-tag so that, before looking in the TAGS buffer for more
> tags, the current buffer is searched backwards from point for a #line
> directive.  If that is found, jump to the correponding location in the
> file referenced by #line.

Fine.  So now we have a workaround which nearly works.  It has the
disadvantage of showing the .c file first (which is either nearly
unreadable or, if it isn't, might no get edited accidentially).  It
Requires one more key-sequence to get to the right place.  But, worst
of all:

> Etags is left unchanged.

And therefore, in my opinion, left buggy, since I reall believe etags
should honour #line directives.  Not the interface to etags, but etags
itself...

Sven
--
 _  __                     The Cognitive Systems Group
| |/ /___  __ _ ___                                       University of Hamburg
| ' </ _ \/ _` (_-<  phone:    +49 (0)40 42883-2576      Vogt-Koelln-Strasse 30
|_|\_\___/\__, /__/  fax  :    +49 (0)40 42883-2572             D-22527 Hamburg
          |___/ http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~utcke/home.html