Re: Cygwin build (was: Using GDB in NTEMACS)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cygwin build (was: Using GDB in NTEMACS)
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:28:51 +0200

> From: Jon Cast <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:05:45 -0600
>
> What sort of ``trade-offs'' do you mean?

In addition to the ones you raised, here are some more off the top of
my head:

 * Are there good ports of X toolkits, such as Lesstiff?  Windows
   users generally expect to get file selection boxes and other
   similar dialog widgets, so if the toolkit you use does not include
   that, they will probably be unhappy.

 * Do the ported toolkits support Windows fonts and/or
   Windows-specific encodings (a.k.a. codepages)?  If not, we will
   need to think how to let users work with Windows locales.

 * The shell issue: should the Cygwin port support only Bash, or the
   stock Windows shells as well?

 * There's also this talk among users of the Cygwin port of XEmacs
   about it being very slow, especially in Dired.  I don't understand
   why would the Cygwin build be slow to the point that it annoys
   users, but perhaps we should try to do something about it.  For
   example, if the reason is that the pipe implementation is slow,
   maybe we should use the ls-lisp.el package in the Cygwin port
   instead of the external `ls' program.