Re: Crash on loading image

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: Crash on loading image
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:39:58 +0100

   From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
   Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:46:05 -0700 (MST)

Richard,

   >     note, that some Linux distributors - like SuSE - have also
libungif-4.1.0

   > Thanks for helping to collect these test cases.  While you are at it,
   > would you please not call those companies "Linux distributors".  What
   > they distribute is much more GNU than Linux, and giving "Linux" 100%
   > of the credit hurts the GNU Project.

I know your arguments. I think all people here know your arguments so it is
pointless to discuss this on this mailing-list.

But do you really think that they distribute more GNU than Linux? Have you
ever untarred Linux kernel sources? It is *big* mess of C and asm
code. I think in case of SuSE (who sells seven CDs or 1 DVD, or 8 CDs here
in Czech republic), GNU part is minor there and *maybe* Linux part (various
binary images, sources, patches, modules etc.) of the CDs is bigger then
GNU part. But I do not have data so I can't tell exactly. What I really
think is that there are more (in terms of disk space) useless commercial
packages like Sun StarOffice, Kylix and similar stuff. Should I then refer
to SuSE as commercial Linux/XFree/Sun/GNU distributor? There are two
versions of XFree there on CDs, it is *huge* disk space. There is KDE who
is disk eater...

Did you measure what is important for users and what is not? Users of this
distribution really value KDE (GPL, but not part of GNU project). They use
XFree (not part of GNU project).

Yes, I was too materialistic in the text written above, but people tend to
think that way and you can not reply to them, because you do not have
informations. It is not correct to refer to such packages as "Linux". Yes,
I know that, it is not Linux (ie. Linux kernel). But it is not correct to
call them "GNU/Linux" as well. You know that and you still want other
people to refer to such packages as "GNU/Linux". I have the same feeling as
being in the church and listening to vicar talking about something he
believes in. Sorry for that, but this is only my opinion.

If you think that GNU project tends to be forgotten in people's minds,
something *should* be done. But saying half-truth to them is not correct
and can turn against GNU project in the future. I do not want to be there
when this happens...
--
Pavel Janík