Re: etags for C++

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Re: etags for C++
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:42:34 -0800 (PST)

Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:19:54 -0700 (MST): Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>     etags is OK.  For practical use etags must run on all relevant source
>     files in the target project by something like this.
>
>        find . -name "*.[chCH]" -print | etags -
>
>     I am asking if we can provide easier way to perform above task.  In
>     above syntax manipulating "*.[chCH]" to include .cc, .cpp and .cxx is
>     not trivial.
>
> Now I see that we have been misunderstanding each other.
> That example in the manual is meant to show how you can use
> find to select the files to etags to operate on.  You seem to want
> an example showing how to find C and C++ files, but that isn't
> what it is intended for.

OK.  I understand that intention.  How about etags.el or other
language package like cc-mode.el to provide a command that runs find
and etags.  For typical uses we can make the existence of etags
program invisible for ordinary users.  I see this example in
cperl-mode.el and idlwave.el.  Like hexl it is nicer that the external
command invokation is wrapped by lisp commands and is invisible from
novice users.

-Tak