Re: Cygwin build (was: Using GDB in NTEMACS)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cygwin build (was: Using GDB in NTEMACS)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 13:07:36 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Ehud Karni wrote:

> I use the Cygwin `ls' with NTEmacs. It is SLOWER because beside looking
> in the directory it also READS each file to check for its magic number,
> to decide if the file is executable or symbolic link.

The DJGPP port of GNU `ls' also reads the files, for the same reasons,
but someone (perhaps even you) told me that it is much faster.  There's
an optimization trick in the DJGPP port that causes it to only read files
whose extension doesn't tell unequivocally whether it is an executable
file or not, but I'd expect the Cygwin version to do the same, since one
of the Cygwin developers, DJ Delorie, knows very well what DJGPP does.

(Actually, everything described above is inside `stat', not in `ls';
`ls' just calls `stat'.)