Re: configure tests for graphics libraries

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: configure tests for graphics libraries
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:58:01 -0700 (MST)

    Yes.  One change checks for the necessary version of the jpeg library.
    The other defaults to not using libungif and tells you if it's found a
    copy that may be dangerous and that you have to enable it explicitly,
    knowing you have a suitable version.  (I guess that's subject to
    problems if you run the binary on a system with a different shared
    library, but that's too bad.)

I see.  That sounds like maybe the right thing--people are talking
about doing just that.  I think none of us realized that your patch
did this.  Perhaps everyone else misunderstood the description just as
I did.

    I just saw a suggestion that the existence of the function
    EGifPutExtensionLast will distinguish the newer version of libungif
    from the problematic one, but I can't currently check that.

Can anyone else verify that?