Re: Should invisible imply intangible?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Should invisible imply intangible?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:10:03 -0500

> A few weeks ago I made some changes that result in sensible cursor
> motion behavior for invisible, intangible text.  However, invisible
> text which is not intangible tends to give strange behavior.
> Meanwhile, the buffer-invisibility-spec feature makes it easy to
> control invisibility of parts of the text, but not intangibility as
> well.
>
> What would people think of making invisible imply intangible?

Bad idea.

> Is there any practical use for text which is invisible but not
> intangible?

Yes.  Check out lisp/reveal.el (aka reveal-mode) which detects
(from post-command-hook) when point is inside an invisible area
and makes that area visible (temporarily).

It works particularly nicely with outline-minor-mode (which has special
support for it), but it also work with hideif.el, hs-minor-mode, ...

        Stefan