Re: validation of widgets doesn't work correct when Set is pressed with

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: validation of widgets doesn't work correct when Set is pressed with mouse (emacs 21.1)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:07:08 +0100

[ CC: to the emacs develoer list ]

"Geert Ribbers" <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, I forgot to mention my platform indeed:
> It's W2k.
> Started with: %COMSPEC% /E:12288 /C
> runemacs.exe --no-init-file --no-site-file
> And %COMSPEC%  is: C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe
>
> 1. The cursor *should* move to the field in error, as it does when pressing
> <return> instead of mouse-click.

I agree.

I think the basic problem is the function widget-button-click in
wid-edit.el tries to handle far too many cases, so fixing one will
most likely break another.

A lot of the complexity may even be irrelevant with the way Emacs 21
implements buttons.

We should really scrap it, and reimplement two or more much simpler
versions that uses the local-map (or was it keymap) text property.  We
need two for handling both normal buttons and pop-up menus, the
current tries to handle both.

I cannot commit time to do that now, unfortunately, and I don't dare
attempt to fix widget-button-click.

> 2. In my case the error-message must have been shown so short that I fail to
> see it, overwritten as it is by the button-message
> It has been shown since I find it in the *messages* buffer.
> So this second point could be a problem for emacs on windows then, maybe?

I suspect this is MS Windows specific.

Will anyone with the MS Windows version try to look at it?