Re: address@hidden: FW: [21.1.90]: should coding be recalculated on reve

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: FW: [21.1.90]: should coding be recalculated on revert-buffer?]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:56:02 +0200 (IST)

On 25 Feb 2002, Miles Bader wrote:

> > And, it's difficult to distinguish the above two cases.
>
> Couldn't you set a buffer-local flag to true if the coding is
> auto-detected (which `C-x C-m c' & friends would then set to false),
> and then only re-detect the coding system upon rever if the flag was true?

Are you suggesting to do this inside insert-file-contents?  If so, I'd
advise against it: insert-file-contents is used in many commands, each
one with its special expectations about what's The Right Thing to do in
this situation, so changing that on the primitive level runs a high risk
of breaking something.

It might be okay to do that inside revert-buffer, but even then I'd
suggest to do it only for the EOL format, not for the base of the coding
system, to keep the possible unintended consequences to a minimum.