Re: mode-line-inactive and toggle-input-method

From: Al Petrofsky
Subject: Re: mode-line-inactive and toggle-input-method
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:13:04 -0800

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)

> The proper fix is to add a new internal variable (named
> Vminibuf_selected_window) which is similar to Vminibuf_scroll_window,
> but which doesn't change after entry to the minibuffer, and which
> doesn't change if we recursively enter the minibuffer from a selected
> minibuffer window.  My testing shows this works very well.

Why the inconsistency for minibuffer entry from the miniwindow?  I
would find it more informative for all mode-lines to go inactive to
indicate that this has happened.  I sometimes accidentally hit M-x
twice in a row.  It would be useful to have immediate feedback that
this has happened.

As a separate issue, it seems to me that the active mode-line face
should be used only when the window is actually selected.  When the
selected window is a miniwindow, I suggest using a separate
"semi-active" mode-line face for the minibuf-selected-window.  By
default, this could be the same as the active face if that's what
people like.

I seem to recall the original requester of this feature wanted to be
able to tell which window was selected by glancing at the frame's
mode-lines, rather than having to find the cursor.  If moving into the
miniwindow doesn't change any of the mode-lines, then the feature
fails to provide that functionality.

-al