Re: ielm working buffer on the modeline

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: ielm working buffer on the modeline
Date: 28 Feb 2002 13:38:48 +0100

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:27:48 +0100, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Buffer names can be quite large, the one I'm currently typing in is named
> > "*wide reply to Juanma Barranquero*".
>
> Well, yes, of course. But I'd like to know how many times you've used
> IELM against such kind of buffer...

I don't see why that kind of buffer is more strange that against
any other type of buffer.

What I don't understad (but maybe you can enlighten me) is why running
ielm _on_ test.el is necessary when _developing_ test.el ?  What are
the advantages of doing that?

I always thought the reason for running ielm on a specific buffer was
to easily examine or experiment with the buffer-local settings of that
buffer.

And I don't see what buffer-local settings of test.el are interesting
when developing test.el  (unless you are looking into a problem with
Emacs-Lisp mode).

>From that perspective, I think running ielm _on_ a "*wide reply to ...*"
buffer is just a common as on test.el.

> Anyway, I just proposed that because I find it useful. If I'm the only
> one, I can always do
>
> (add-hook 'ielm-mode-hook
>         '(lambda ()
>             (setq mode-line-process
>                     '(":" (:eval (buffer-name ielm-working-buffer))))))
>
> on my .emacs :)

I do think this is would be useful, it's just not the right place to put it.

What about changing the buffer name rather than the mode-line-process, ie.

        *IELM on test.el*

or

        *IELM on *wide reply to Juanma Barranquero**

At least, that would display the information in the part of the mode line
where (potentially long) names are already shown.