Re: New session management patch.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: New session management patch.
Date: 28 Feb 2002 16:36:50 +0100

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

> I have incorporated your ideas almost verbatim,  Your remark about the
> problem of restore is well put.  Also a default filename makes it
> easier for functions to save state.

I think your patch is in very good shape now.  RMS already commented
on a few things, but other than that, there are only minor things I would
like to suggest you change:

1) Maybe you should use [.]emacs-session.%s for the save file name
   rather than just [.]emacs.%s

2) The first line of the doc-string for emacs-session-save could be a little
more generic, as the functionality is explained in the text, i.e. change:

   "Run the `emacs-save-session-functions' when window system is closing.

into something like

   "This function is called when the window system wants emacs to terminate.
If this function returns non-nil, the window system shutdown is cancelled.

> But I haven't made variables for functions emacs-session-save and
> emacs-session-restore.  I figured that anyone can redefine the
> functions if they so wish.

That is ok.  Other parts of emacs "core" already calls lisp level
functions in the same way.

>     +      if (proglen+len+1 <= MAXPATHLEN)
>     +          char maybe[MAXPATHLEN+1];
>
> That is an arbitrary limit, so please remove it.  openp avoids having
> such a limit.

alloca is your friend :-)