Re: Idea: Allow faces to have text-like properties

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Idea: Allow faces to have text-like properties
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:05:09 -0500

> I saw the article below in comp.emacs, and it got me wondering whether
> it would make sense for a `face' to have an `invisible' property.

It would be convenient for X-Symbol since XEmacs has this feature
and X-Symbol uses it (the Emacs port of X-Symbol uses a hack to get
the "same" behavior: set the `font' property to a special font (distributed
with X-Symbol) that's of size 0x0).

Actually, I can't remember if XEmacs really has an `invisible' property
for its faces.  Maybe X-Symbol uses the `display-table' property instead
(which is available as a face-property under XEmacs) to make every char
into an empty glyph .

        Stefan