Re: Should customizing default-frame-alist change existing frames?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Should customizing default-frame-alist change existing frames?
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:57:05 +0200

> From: Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:15:39 +0100
>
> 1. Change the doc string to say that existing frames will not be
>    affected by setting default-frame-alist, only new ones.
>
> 2. Add a :set method that applies the frame parameters to all existing
>    frames.
>
> I think #2 could be dangerous, especially if there are any "special
> purpose" (like ediff of speedbar) frames around.

Yes, I agree.  Emacs does try to do something similar at startup, to
make customizations of default-frame-alist take immediate effect on
the already existing frame, but this leads to a very convoluted code
that is not devoid of subtle surprises.  For example, changing the
order of some customizations can sometimes change the net effect.

While that is justified at startup, doing the same in the middle of a
session might be more trouble than it's worth.

So I think we should take #1, and make sure the doc string mentions
the functions that can be used to get immediate effect for important
frame parameters.